"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley."email.
Edit: Posted this at 1 A.M. last night and by the time I woke up at 6:30, I already had two emails with some info on the plane. Thanks to Randy and Todd!
- The plane model is a Convair 880 and formerly belonged to the airlines Swissair, Cathay Pacific and Jetaway.
- The plane was scrapped and broken up at CVG in 1986.
- What was seen here has apparently been sitting in this salvage yard for the past 6 or 7 years.
- The plane pictured below used to make regular flights between Cincinnati and San Diego.
- It had been sitting abandoned at CVG since 1980 until it was scrapped.
- From 1959-62, sixty five of these planes were produced. Low sales forced the shut down of their production.
- The U.S. Navy operated one of these models which they used to refuel F-14 Tomcats.
- The engines were civilian models of those found on the F-4 Phantom fighter jet.
- TWA Flight 128, which crashed at CVG in 1967 killing 65 passengers and 5 crew members, was the same model aircraft.
- Elvis Presley owned one of these jets and named it the "Lisa Marie," after his daughter. It's still on display today at Graceland.
- Currently no Convair 880's are air worthy or still flying.
|- The plane sitting at CVG in November, 1980. Note the touch up paint beneath the cockpit that can also be seen in the scrap yard photographs. Copyright Bob Garrard/Airliners.net.|
If you think this is cool, check out this story on Google Earth's satellite images of Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, where the US military sends their retired aircraft to rest in peace.